Friday, February 27, 2009

Lots of firsts...

Yesterday was a really busy day for us.

We had a couple early morning appointments at our house for different things and then at 11:30 was Alayna's first class at My Gym. It is similar to a Gymboree class. It is a classroom enviroment but an active one. The first 5 minutes were free time and the kids got to run around and check everything out. Then it was circle time and that is where things got rough. It was already Alayna's nap time so when I tried taking her away from the equipment and with everyone else - she wasn't having it. She had a mini meltdown so we stepped outside for a bit. Then we tried going in again and I knew it wasn't going to work. So next week we are going to try an early morning class and see if that works better for us.





I am also looking into Pre School's for her in the Fall. Since she stays home with me I am trying to get her socialized and introduce her to different situations. She is very outgoing and plays great with other kids - she just doesn't listen to the teachers in the ballet class we went to or during circle time. I am sure some of it is her age but also that she hasn't done anything like that before.

----------------------------------


And last night was my first class of bead making with my friend Anita! I was really excited to go! Anita had already taken the classes at this arts center last year and she does great work - she even sells her beautiful beads! I don't consider myself very artsy - but I sure had fun! These are all the rods of soft class that we worked with.



There are 8 people in the class of all levels. You work in front of a propane torch and heat up your mandrel and glass rod until it melts. Then you twirl the glass on the mandrel and *try* to make a bead. You can make all sorts of shapes and use tools to help manipulate the glass. It definately takes practice.


And here is the lovely bracelet I made last night.



Just kidding. All of those beads were made by the instructor, Marta. :P but I can't wait to see how mine turned out next week. They get dried in the kiln overnight and when I go back I get to see them! Stay tuned...

1 comment:

The Stewart Stuff said...

That looks like an awesome class! I would love to learn an art like that!!!